Saturday, January 31, 2009

And One Show I Missed



Vancouver is rich with world class photographers. On my blog list you'll notice Alex Waterhouse-Hayward. If you haven't explored his blog I would suggest you do so as soon as possible. He is not only an extraordinary photographer but also a gifted memoirist.  Visit his blog and discover for yourself.
I have mentioned Jeff Wall in other posts.  
Someone that I met briefly, in my other life as a recreation programmer in a downtown/east side long-term care facility, is another name on the list of world-class photographers. Lincoln Clarkes has been photographing Vancouver, especially the downtown east side and the people in it, for a long time. 
I got a chance to meet Mr. Clarkes when he came to our facility to ensure that his long-time friend, Richard (Dick)  Oulton, was properly situated. He also took the responsibility of making sure that Mr. Oulton's photos did not become lost and that they received the recognition they deserved. Last fall his efforts were rewarded when Presentation House included some of Dick Oulton's photos in 'Juliette & Friends' a show based on photos culled from local archives. They also co-published, along with Bywater Bros. Editions, a book of selected photographs entitled. "Lynn Valley #5  Meet Dick Oulton"
I wasn't able to get up to Presentation House for the show but I did get to see a package that Mr. Clarkes (that's him above, under one of Dick Oulton's photos) dropped off at Central City Lodge, for the people who were lucky enough to spend the last couple of years of Dick Oulton's life with him. We appreciated it.
                                          

No comments: