Friday, January 2, 2009

Art Of Compassion

Buddhism has had an influence in my life. At times it has played an important role. It is a religion that I feel very comfortable with. I also feel comfortable with Taoism, Christianity (as described by Christ), Sufism and (from what little I know outside of what is described in most newspapers) the teachings of Mohammed. Also, the more I learn about world religions, the more I believe that they are all spokes that radiate from the same hub. But my life has taken me closer to Buddhism than most of the others. I walked into the Art Of Compassion Gallery during my lunch break at work the other week. The owner, Michael, was a gracious host. He is not a Buddhist but loves the artwork of Tibet. His gallery is, apparently, the only supplier of traditional Tibetan Buddhist art in Canada. I've been wanting to plug his gallery and this is my chance to do so. The photo above is not traditional Tibetan art, of course, but one of my own photographs. Last night I was reading the latest issue of B&W magazine when I saw an add for Artbook Press and followed the link. In their site I read a page from a book by Dario Campanile describing his meeting with Salvador Dali. I, being a big fan of the surrealists, thought I ought to see the art of someone who had touched the hem of the great moustache. In the website I found this. If the link on "this" doesn't take you to a video, go back to the Dario Campanile link and, when you get to his site, click on the "Missing Peace" link (the one with the dove flying out of the newspaper).

No comments: